Friday, April 30, 2010

Pruning deadwood

Plants love to be pruned. I’ve been seeing the results this spring: we did a major pruning job last fall on our lilac bush, which was too tall and leggy, and we cut it back to half its size. That lilac is looking so wonderful this spring: filled out below, lots of leaves, all around happy. Our Japanese weeping maple tells the same story: after pruning, the tree is lighter and more airy and has a lovely shape.

I’m taking some inspiration from the lilac and maple as I am cleaning out the basement. I’m thinking of it as pruning…getting rid of the dead wood down there. For the past two weeks, I’ve been doing something every day, even if it is just something small, like throwing one thing out, or putting one thing in the recycle bin, or cleaning something, or giving one thing away via freecycle.org.

The basement has some space in it now. And getting rid of deadwood feels great!

No comments:

Post a Comment